Advancement in personalized medical care.
Medicine tailored to an individual, particularly with the application of genomics, will ultimately have a major impact on the future of health care.
Dr. Eric Topol, Chief Academic Officer of Scripps Health
Genetic testing offers an advanced approach to personalizing medical care by providing clinicians with objective information about how their patients will metabolize and respond to specific drugs. With this genetic information, and a current understanding of the latest, clinically actionable genetic research, clinicians can better guide therapy in patients to improve outcomes and reduce the risk of adverse events.
- Mega JL et al. Reduced-Function CYP2C19 Genotype and Risk of Adverse Clinical Outcomes Among Patients Treated With Clopidogrel Predominantly for PCI: A Meta Analysis. JAMA. 2010 October, 27; 304 (16): l82l-1830.
- FDA Drug Safety Communication: Reduced Effectiveness of Plavix (clopidogrel) in Patients Who Are Poor Metabolizers of the Drug; http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm204253.htm
- Frueh FW, Amur S, Mummaneni et al. Pharmacogenomic Biomarker Information in Drug Labels Approved by the United States Food and Drug Administration: Prevalence of Related Drug Use. Pharmacotherapy. 2008;38:992-998.
- Mega JL et al. Cytochrome p-450 Polymorphisms and Response to Clopidogrel. N Engl J Med. 2009. Jan 22;360(4):354-62.
- U.S. Prescription Drug Sales Grow Slowly; Hydrocodone Most Prescribed; Seeking Alpha. 2009 March 26. http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm204253.htm